Saturday, June 9, 2012

How I Met My Husband

  I have so many posts to catch up on like Mina and Lily's birthdays but that's not what I felt like talking about. I feel like talking about my husband. My wonderful, gorgeous, hard working, loving husband. I want to talk about how we met.
  Let's just say that I hadn't had the best of luck with boys in high school. I crushed on boy #1 for 3 years and he never really acknowledged my existence it seemed (he was actually very nice but dang it! I wanted him to actually notice me!) Boy #2 dumped me after 4 days because the girl he actually wanted broke up with her boyfriend. I hurt boy #3 because we were getting really close and I cut everything off for boy #2. He held it against me for a long time. He wrote a hurtful poem and read it to anyone who would listen and named me by name. Some people were very mean to me after that. I never dated boy #4 (he chose my best friend over me) but we still hung out a lot and that relationship was toxic. Boy #5 was very nice but his values were very different than mine. I was a very weak person in high school and so I started to question my values because he told me I should. Part of me wishes that I had completely avoided boys altogether in high school but I know that those experiences helped me see just how special my husband really is.
  I was this little 18 year old, pretty much fresh out of high school and completely scared of the "real world." I'd already been through Fall semester and was feeling good about my classes for Spring semester. I had chosen to take Bowling for my Phys Ed credit and was very excited! I believe it was Jan. 6, 2003 (which was my first day). I was walking into Sandy Lanes (now All Star Lanes) when I saw him, seriously one of the cutest, if not cutest, boys I've ever seen. I can honestly say that I knew there was something special about him right then. I hoped with all my might he was in my class. Luck was on my side, as the teacher was talking to the class the "tall, extremely cute" boy sidled on up to me. Unfortunately, when he told us to pick lanes and get bowling he and his best friend picked the lane on the opposite side as me and my friends. Then began the longest month EVER!!!
  Little did I know that the "tall, extremely cute" boy (that's how I always described him) was just as shy, if not more so than me. Sure I'd catch him watching me and vice versa but we never really did anything about it. I remember my friends wanted me to go for his friend because he was cuter (which I definitely didn't agree with) but I knew there was something special about Dave. I wanted to be with Dave.
  Once, I got the nerve up to ask him to teach me how he threw the ball. He would cradle it up in the crook of his arm and throw it as hard as he could down the lane. He showed me a couple times and then tried to get me to do it. I totally froze. I was beyond nervous and refused to do it. He looked really disappointed and his friend was calling to him and wanting to leave. He said he had to go and what do I do? I thrust my hand out to shake hands with him. How stupid! (He thought I wanted a hug at first and I will say that I would have loved a hug. I am totally a hug person.) Anyway, we shake hands and exchange names. That was the day I learned my future husbands name. He later told me that he was so excited because he thought it was going to turn into this long hang out session all day. I blew it. Way to be dumb, Lisa!
  So I thought after that run in we would at least talk to each other but no, we didn't. It was like the "lesson" had never happened. That's what you get with two very shy people. So finally, in the beginning of Feb. I decided I was going to talk to him. I was going to get his number! It took about 3 classes for me to get the nerve but one day, as I was watching him, I realized he was about to leave. Class had just begun! I started to panic. I paced for a minute and then rushed over to him. I basically screamed  "Do you want to go to a movie or something?" at him. A little shocked and amused he said, "Sure. You want my number?" I ran over to my purse to grab a pen and paper and rushed back to him. He gave me his number and said, "Now, don't lose that." (He's always been embarrassed about that line. I have always loved it though.) I had his number! Mission accomplished!
  He wasn't in class on Monday and he wasn't in class on Wednesday. I was certain he was trying to avoid me. I was devastated. Dejected, I gave up on bowling and was just watching my friends when Dave walked in. He asked if I wanted to go out on Saturday. With a grin, I happily accepted. Maybe boys didn't suck as bad as I thought. Maybe this one was really something great. I couldn't wait for our first date...

These are the first pictures ever taken of us together. I think.



No comments: